Monday, September 28, 2009

Paradise Visitor's Center (John Muir Got It Right)

I am awed by Paradise.
The steps say it all. This visitor center is the highest driveable point in the park. The alpine meadow above defies description. I hope my photos and videos give you even just a slight understanding of what it is like. My travels are meager compared to Muir but I have not been to a more beautiful place.
From the visitor center, a few miles of paved footpaths weave around the enormous flowered meadow. Families of deer peak in and out of trees yards away from you, holding up foot traffic if they decide to take their time crossing your path (it's forbidden to disturb the wildlife, you have to wait for them to go on their way). The higher you hike, the clearer the view of the glaciers on Tahoma.
I could stay here for a long, long time. It is my happy place, and I'm happy it's protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment