Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Soup du Squash

When life gives you a metric tonne of Lugo Bianco squash, what do you do? I can tell you from trial and error that Squash-ade is not the answer. Soup is a better option. Roast it up in the oven with some potatoes...
Saute up carrots, onions, and tomato sauce from the garden...
Dice potatoes and puree squash.
End product was unique, tasty but very filling. Cooking with whatever you have growing is definitely an exercise in creativity, but every time I do it I get better ideas for the next time. This dish was inspired by a bowl of cauliflower soup that a friend got at a nice restaurant the previous evening. I wanted more of a creamy texture, but wanted to avoid dairy since I am aspiring toward Veganism. In hindsight maybe I would have pureed the potatoes, maybe let everything simmer longer. C'est la vie.

1 comment:

  1. this looks very comforting. i could curl around a bowl of this on a rainy day. and then plan a life together.... sigh

    ReplyDelete