Tuesday, May 5, 2009

How to Build Beds and Pwn Bermunda Grass

Recently I decided that not enough of our property was garden. Let me show you how I fixed that and include some bonus glory shots of my awesome new cah.
Here you see that tools of my trade. Cardboard boxes are best, but since we ran out of that I tore up a phone book and layed that on top of the bermuda grass to tamp it down. Then a layer of straw for volume and compostability. Then I put a thin (1/2 inch) layer of potting soil, topped with a layer of compost for mulch. Within months, the paper degrades, the bremuda dies of and the soil underneath become soft. I don't wait that long to plant in it though.

1 comment:

  1. Phonebooks are so useful! Remember when we attempted to light a fire on our ridiculous camping trip with the San Antonio phone book?
    I am very jealous of your greenery!

    ReplyDelete