Sunday, October 11, 2009

Winter-Ready Garden

I've finished most of the major work I'll do on the garden for this year: clearing out beds, topping them off with compost, planting seed, and resetting bricks. I also reseeded most of the backyard with fescue, which is coming in nicely. This is not an easy task since it required clearing away most of the bermuda grass by hand, but I think it will pay off eventually. Here in the front you can see the day lily, lantana, and zinnia are doing quite well.
Bianca enjoying herself out back. She gets very excited about being outside and sprints around like a kitten.
Broccoli is already sprouting.
Good shot of the grass coming in.
I'm not sure what this is to tell the truth.
Leeks reappearing after the summer.
I think this is celery, which is exciting because I had no luck with it last summer or fall.
Calendula going strong; I planted another pink variety this year.
Purple Queen Zinnia likes the cooler weather.
Two year old creeping thyme. When I bought it the lady said that it wouldn't survive the cold but it's going strong and spreading steadily. Great ground cover, I'll try more in the spring.
The back. I ran out of grass seed this year so I'm going to keep the tarps at left to prevent weeds until spring.
Lettuce.
Blackberry bushes going strong. I bought a third this year; Lowe's clears them out at a very low price at the end of the season.
Lima beans, only a week old but already big.
Lima bean trellis.
I love pictures of seedlings.
I didn't think I could grow eggplant plants this big after last year! Now to get them to grwo more eggplants...
I have some good looking green tomatoes that don't want to redden up.

Sweet potato vine.
Sweet potato root.
Blue-podded pea.
Okra.
Broccoli from last year.
Grapevine.
Fig tree.

I toss handfuls of organic green lentils into my beds and they grow like weeds.
Alyssum, planted from seed in the spring and finally starting to bloom.
Peanut plant.
Wild woolly beast.
Newborn lettuces.

No comments:

Post a Comment