Monday, June 29, 2009

No Fertilizer

The best thing about this summer's garden is discovering the plants that flourished with little help from myself after they pass the seedling stage. Not everything came up as I intended, but the stuff that's there is making my backyard look like a jungle, despite the fact that I've virtually ignored the garden since the weather turned hot. Pumpkin and squash are producing vines and bushes with huge leaves running all over the place. Cucumber vine is covering the beds with a green blanket of leaves and dropping tons of fruit underneath. But most impressive is the forest of 10-ft-plus sunflowers that has sprung up. All the more impressive since I didn't even remember to put out any organic fertilizer this year.
Winter squash vine.
Blackberries.
Green Lentil.
Wildflower Larkspur finally showing its pretty face.
It's my Sunflower forest!
Okra.
Summer squash.
It will look much prettier next year when there is lawn instead of plastic.
Corn, sunflower, squash.
Basil, grown from seed.
Young watermelon vine.
Sunberry.

Okra.

Summer Squash.

It will look much prettier next year when there is lawn instead of plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment